Sunday, April 27, 2008

Bothersome.

A warning. Death Proof is a staggeringly dull movie. Quentin Tarantino has lost the plot - his fatal error seems to be in thinking that other people find his eccentricities as inherently charming as he himself does. Net result: 2 1/2 hours of in-jokes and references to his earlier movies. Everything else hangs from those precarious hooks.

It's also maddeningly slow. Three-quarters of an hour pass before anything happens. Then another set of protagonists are introduced, and the whole process repeats itself. It was boring the first time. Second time around, it just feels maddeningly self-indulgent.

I don't mind Tarantino's quest to prove himself the biggest film nerd out there. I will even defend the 'Superman' monologue in Kill Bill. I don't mind the patchwork of styles in his movies, I don't mind that every character will inevitably speak in the same fucking style. I can even let the foot thing slide. In short, what bothers most people about him doesn't really bother me. Death Proof is just really, really tedious.

2 comments:

Mister Aedan said...

I forget - was Death Proof the Grindhouse film that was shit, or the Grindhouse film that was shit and everybody hated so they had to stop showing them as a double bill?

Dave said...

I really enjoyed Planet Terror, but then it's chock full of zombies and has a mad scientist who collects testicles in a jar.

They stopped showing them together, to the best of my knowledge, because no-one wanted to sit through both. Given that Death Proof sapped the very will from me, I don't blame them.